Bell peppers stuffed with minced meat stuffing make a complete meal by itself but the meal can be well enhanced with potato/sweet potato mash.
In the original classic version of the stuffed bell peppers the minced meat is mixed with rice to make it more compact and add the carbohydrates. I also add carbohydrates but the good ones that our body can use, shredded sweet potato.
I have to point out that I use home grown bell peppers and minced pork meat from our home grown pigs. Growing your own vegetables as well as breeding your own animals or buying both of these locally from small farms is one of the most important things you can do to enhance the health of your family as well as the health of the society.As you can notice from the picture fat is welcome in our family meals and the fat in this meal is from olive oil and the very meat that has been cooking and is really indispensable.
- 12 medium to large bell peppers
- 1/2 kg minced pork
- 1 small shredded sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 2 dcl tomato puree
- 2 dcl chicken stock or water
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl combine together minced meat with the shredded sweet potato, one egg, salt, pepper and turmeric. Knead this well.
- Wash the bell peppers and remove the seeds.
- In a large skillet: put the olive oil and add the minced garlic let simmer for couple of minutes and then add the tomato puree, salt and stock/water.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and gently put into the sauce in the skillet.
- Let simmer for 40-45 minutes.