Paleo quiches can either have a crust that is a nut, tapioca and/or coconut flour mixture OR you can simply use squash as the carrier of the quiche and call it a "crust". For this quiche I chose the latter but decided to add some tapioca flour just to make it a little bit less mushy.
The recipe is pretty simple and one can use whatever squash you have at hand. I used spaghetti squash.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 6 eggs
- 1 large kale
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 can coconut milk (or any other non dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- Cut one large squash into 4 pieces and bake at 180C for about 1/2 hour.
- Let cool for a bit and remove the meat and mash it with a fork.
- Add in the squash salt to taste and the tapioca flour, mix well and gently press into a baking pan.
- Cut the kale in half and wash thoroughly then cut into thin stripes.
- In a skillet on a spoon of lard add the sliced onions and after 5 minutes ad the kale.
- Fry the kale for 20 minutes and then add it to the baking pan.
- Whisk 6 eggs together with seasoning you like and pour over the kale.
- Bake the quiche for 40-50 minutes at 170-180 C.