Thursday, August 14, 2014

A twist of kale on a plain old mashed potato

The potato!
Hm...potatoes were out of paleo and the Whole 30 program until recently when they decided to give them a pass. I included them in our diet even before that for one reason. I have trouble with weight gain and when on a healthy diet and lifestyle I will loose weight and that is something I don't like or need. So on a paleo lifestyle I need to find good carbohydrates to add to my diet. And there are plenty out there, like sweet potatoes. But they are not available all year round and our home grown plain old potato is. The pros of the potato for me are greater than the cons (potato plus/minus sides). In my searching to make this ingredient more exiting and tasty for my family I stumbled upon an old irish recipe for potato and kale mash and adapted it to the ingredients I had. The outcome was so good that even my husband who is not a mashed potato fan loves it!

What you maybe have noticed so far is that I use a lot of turmeric. I just about put it into everything I make. It's because of it's numerous benefits. And the thing to remember is that black pepper and fat (preferably olive oil) augment the absorption or curcumin in turmeric so try to combine when ever possible.

Also a note on the mashed potatoes. I discovered that when you use a handheld blender and add to the cooked potatoes spoon of lard you get a totally different consistency that the usual mashed potatoes. They turn into a very tasteful but more sticky blend.


INGREDIENTS:
  •  1 kg potatoes (any kind as long as you grow it or buy it locally!)
  •  1 kale (medium size)
  •  1 big onion
  •  2 large tbsp lard
  •  juice from 1 lemon
  •  1 dcl of chicken/vegetable stock or 2 dcl of water
  •  3 garlic cloves
  •  nutmeg
  •  salt
  •  black pepper
  •  turmeric
 PREPARATION:
  • Peel potatoes, dice in small cubes and cook in salted water till they turn soft.
  • Heat 2 tbsp of lard in a skillet and and chopped onion. Let stir for couple of minutes and add kale. Kale should be thoroughly washed and diced (steams removed).
  • Let fry for 10 minutes then add in the lemon juice and 1 dcl stock/water and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Salt to taste add in the mashed garlic cook for few more minutes and remove from heat.
  • In the cooked potatoes add 1 large tbsp of lard, salt, nutmeg, pepper and turmeric and blend it (I use handheld blender).
  • When serving scoop some potatoes and use kale as topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment