Thursday, August 28, 2014

Home made hazelnut-chocolate spread aka Nutella

For a long time I was trying to find something nutella like but without dairy for my son who has a cow milk/soy allergy. And as much as we tried there wasn't anything like that on the market until couple of weeks ago when I did find one in DM from Alnatura. and it is delicious, very dark chocolate, not to many side-ingredients. But still not Nutella like because no hazelnuts.

So when I stumbled upon a paleolized Nutella recipe I had to try it. The recipe is very simple and I adapted it to a point. I made it once so far and seeing/keeping/tasting this I decided to make some additional changes next time I make it, and there will definitely be a next time because it is GREAT!

But I didn't want to wait to share this recipe because I know the demand for something Nutella like spread jet healthier is HUGE.

Let talk about the chocolate you decide to use. This is up to you. As far as I know there aren't any paleo chocolate brands available in Croatia jet (without regular cane sugar). But this is not such a big deal. You can just use cooking chocolate that has a minimum of ingredients. The one from Alnatura is nice, it contains only 3 ingredients, unrefined  cane sugar, cocoa and cocoa butter.

The original recipe asked for almond milk to be used, this I replaced with water. Commercially available almond milk is everything but almonds as are other pseudo milks also. There are better ones, like some rice milks and oat ones, that do not contain any added sugar so you are welcome to use one of those, just read the label and if it is simple: rice/oat+salt+water+not hydrogenated oil it's OK.

What will I be changing next time and you can change right away if you want is that I will replace the coconut oil+water with coconut milk. This will make it more creamier even straight from the fridge. How much, this I will add as a comment to this post when I try it out.

This is spreadable on room temperature but hard when in a fridge, just like real Nutella.



INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup hazelnuts (soaked for minimum of 4 hours but recommended overnight)
  • 1 cup chopped chocolate
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS:

  • Melt chocolate.
  • In a blender add the soaked hazelnuts, melted chocolate and oil and blend for about 5 minutes.
  • Add in the water and blend more. Blend until the consistency is smooth.
  • ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment