Monday, August 4, 2014

First and best chicken curry ever

Curry is a blend of spices (curry powder) that I never could grow to like, it's also the name of a meal made with that same spice.
The blend has a very specific taste to it and a punch of spiciness. In addition the one that is store bought (regular store, not spice store) have some other add-in's that I generally dislike (flavor enhancers, milk proteins, etc.). Never the less it's main ingredient is turmeric (cro. kurkuma) and a few years ago I began to discover just how important that spice is (health benefits of turmeric), so I use it a lot. Among other benefits it has helped me with my stomach issues a great deal.
BUT I never made curry before a few days ago when I stumbled upon a recipe that seamed it could either be a total revelation or a flop, no middle ground. It turned out to be the best paleo dish I made so far.

INGREDIENTS:
  • chicken breasts from one chicken (with skin) cut into small pieces
  • 1 tablespoon of lard (plain pig homemade lard)
  • 2/3 can  of coconut cream (so far cheapest found in dm)
  • 2 cup diced carrots
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons turmeric (very cheap in dm, gardena, harrisa)
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1/5 cup celery
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt to taste
INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Saute chicken in a medium-sized saucepan (I use wok pan).
  • When the outside of the chicken has all turned white, add in the coconut milk and 1 dcl water a mix.
  • Add in the vegetables.
  • Add in the ginger and turmeric powder.
  • Cook on medium heat with the lid on for 50 minutes (stirring occasionally).
  • 5 minutes before end add in the minced garlic and cellery and salt to taste. 
That is it! What you get is a BEAUTIFUL blend of tastes (and it does not taste coconutty at all).


No comments:

Post a Comment