Bread and pastry in general are off limits in paleo diet for one main reason, GRAIN (read glycophosphate) and there is more than one reason to avoid grain (reasons to avoid grains).
To the list that is in the linked page: I would like to add a comment to the 10. point that talks about today’s agriculture not only is it unsustainable and it depletes the environment and pollutes our habitat but the final product has nothing to do with the past notion of grain itself.
With all its downsides grain once was still to a point nutritive, today it is toxic and full of pesticides.
So in paleo to still have an occasional bread/pastry like treat you can use nut grains (almond, hazelnut, etc.), coconut flour and arrowroot flour as well as tapioca.
The one I like most is coconut flour, it is not expensive has a rich aroma and is not as heavy on the stomach as almond flour is.
This recipe uses zucchini (which are in season now) and garlic which we absolutely adore.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 3 cup coconut flour (from flakes, with high speed blender or coffee grinder)
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder (aru prah, bio&bio)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (lightly salted and thoroughly drained)
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Mix: eggs, oil, vinegar, garlic and zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, mix: coconut flour, arrowroot powder, salt, oregano and baking soda.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine
- Pour into a greased loaf pan that has been lined with parchment paper and sprinkle the top with sea salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until cooked through.
- Glaze with olive oil&garlic emulsion (one big garlic clove blended with 1/3 cup olive oil).
- Allow to cool completely before serving.